The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
Contingent on the electoral calendar, an invitation to observe, and developments related to COVID-19, The Carter Center is preparing to deploy an international election observation mission (EOM) to Myanmar for general elections anticipated in November 2020. The Center is recruiting a highly qualified individual to serve as Security/Operations Manager of Carter Center election observation activities in Myanmar. The successful candidate will conduct a security assessment, develop and implement security protocols, monitor and report on security-related issues, and provide operational support for the international observation mission and Carter Center personnel. Deployment to Myanmar from July through December 2020 is planned, but dates are subject to change. Prior to deployment, preparation work will be conducted remotely.
the supervision of the County Representative and in coordination with EOM core team members, assist in the
design and management of the Carter Center’s planned observation activities,
with specific responsibilities to:
- Review possible observer deployment sites.
- Prepare and implement deployment plans for observers.
- Develop and implement a security reporting system for observers.
- Coordinate logistics and security to facilitate observer deployment.
- Ensure security requirements and policies are implemented by all team members.
- Assist in recruitment of local staff, including drivers and interpreters.
- In close consultation with field and HQ management, develop and draft a security manual for use in briefing all staff, core team, long term observers, and short term observers. Design field security protocols, including for COVID-19 related security measures and for potential evacuation. Lead security training on security protocols and information for all staff and observers.
- In coordination with the Observer Coordinator, manage logistics for deployment within Myanmar, including arrangements for and coordination of vehicles and drivers; oversight of logistics staff; airport pick-up/drop-off; observer transportation plans; training of drivers on security protocols; and accommodation for long-term observers and other team members.
- Conduct an assessment of the overall security situation in Myanmar, along with specifics about possible or previously determined deployment sites.
- In coordination with the Country Representative, establish and facilitate contacts with the police forces, military, relevant government ministries, embassies and international organizations on security, medical, and health matters. Liaise with interlocutors regarding the security environment. Represent the field office on operational and security matters.
- Gather and analyze security-related information, including developments related to COVID-19, and monitor the security environment and events.
- Contribute to daily, weekly, and monthly project reporting on security, logistics, and operations in Myanmar. Produce ad hoc security updates/analysis and recommendations on political and security events that may pose a threat to EOM team members or project partners.
- Manage observer security status on a daily basis through scheduled reporting and oversight of local staff. In coordination with the Observer Coordinator, track movements of staff and observers. Oversee and conduct check-in calls with observers, as appropriate.
- Train and supervise security-related field office staff. Provide security training to drivers, guards and other staff as required. Train staff in the use of all communication equipment and provide detailed instructions for all communications methods.
- Participate in meetings to disseminate information on security, deployment, and logistics.
- Locate and assist in making arrangements for evacuation with international and local government agencies as well as private companies. Negotiate and/or review security contracts with local providers for security guards as necessary and advise the Country Representative on the procurement of health and security related materials and services.
- If evacuation is required, lead the evacuation process in accordance with pre-established plans and arrangements, making decisions in coordination with the Country Representative and HQ.
- Perform other duties, as needed.
- Applicants should have a minimum of seven years of relevant security experience, preferably with previous experience working on an election observation mission or development project.
- Demonstrated experience in developing security assessments and analysis in a foreign country.
- Demonstrated experience in developing security protocols for field operations.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and drafting training materials (e.g. manuals, presentations) as well as delivering training to staff.
- Demonstrated experience in representational and networking skills.
- Prior experience working in multicultural teams.
- Prior work experience in Myanmar, the region, or other countries in transition.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and competence with technology (MSOffice).
- Excellent English language skills. Myanmar language skills are an asset but not required.
All applications must be submitted through the following link to be considered: https://airtable.com/shrU2dDOoQhq0x9mi
If you have questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Only candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified. No phone calls please.