The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
The Carter Center is seeking a highly-qualified individual to serve as Electoral Expert for a remote pre-election assessment mission to Mali, where parliamentary and presidential elections are scheduled for 2022.
The assessment team will work remotely due to COVID-19 travel restrictions and will work in coordination with Carter Center Country Representative in Mali. The assessment will have the following objectives: (1) Meet with the authorities, political parties, civil society, and others to gather electoral information and assess interest in and possible benefit of Carter Center election observation; (2) Assess the need for and feasibility of supporting civil society programming around elections; and (3) Meet other interlocutors/stakeholders as needed.
- Join Carter Center staff in conducting remote meetings with interlocutors in Mali, including senior government officials, political party leaders, civil society leaders, and the international community, as part of an assessment of the pre-election environment in Mali in preparation for a potential election observation mission.
- Become familiar with the legal, constitutional, and regulatory framework for elections in Mali, as well as any other relevant laws and regulations (media regulations, judicial system, electoral procedures, etc.).
- Become familiar with political participation issues, including those related to gender, ethnic minorities, disability, and poverty.
- Provide advice and analysis on key electoral issues in Mali.
- Represent The Carter Center in meetings with interlocutors.
- Contribute as needed to written reports and public statements.
- Draft an internal report on key issues related to upcoming elections.
- Other services related to the election assessment as requested.
- Experience in election observation, and at least ten years in the democracy, governance and/or elections field is preferred.
- Knowledge of the political and electoral situation in Mali is required, and professional experience in Mali is highly desirable.
- Advanced degree in relevant field is preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of human rights and democratic election standards and familiarity with the technical procedures required for constituency delimitation, voter registration, candidate registration, and other steps of electoral preparation.
- Demonstrated ability to provide advice, guidance and analyses regarding election legislation and processes.
- Cross-cultural understanding and a background working in sensitive political situations.
- Strong English and French writing and communication skills are required (deliverables to be drafted in English)
- Competence with standard computer applications.
All applications must be submitted through the following link: https://airtable.com/shrMwYGJuMtcWHZla
Questions should be submitted to email@example.com
Note: Only candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified. No phone calls please.