The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
Contingent on an invitation and accreditation by the Zimbabwe Election Commission, the Carter Center is preparing to deploy an international election observation mission to Zimbabwe for the harmonized elections anticipated in August 2023. The Carter Center is seeking a highly qualified individual to serve as a Security Expert for this mission. Relocation to Zimbabwe for a period of at least three months is required, and the expert will travel within the country as needed.
This consultancy position is tentatively scheduled from June 15, 2023, and pending electoral developments will continue through approximately Sept. 15, 2023; applicants must confirm their availability for deployment for the duration of the project.
- Working under the direction of the Chief of Party and Project Director, lead the design and oversight of security protocols for international observers and IEOM staff. Refine field office policies and procedures relating to staff travel and security, evacuation, requests for transportation, communications, and other key security-related details.
- In coordination with the Observer Coordinator, manage daily observer security status through scheduled reporting and oversight of local staff. Track movements of staff and observers, oversee and conduct check-in calls with observers, as appropriate.
- Review and update a security and risk assessment for the international observer mission in Zimbabwe about possible deployment sites, and core team lodging and office space.
- Establish and facilitate contacts with the police forces, military, relevant government ministries, and international organizations on security, medical, and health matters. Liaise with key government officials and international organizations regarding the security environment and its repercussions on Carter Center activities.
- Provide security training to core team, observers, drivers, guards, and other staff if needed, on continuous basis; Maintain vehicle and driver records, vehicle safety and security equipment list, driver protocols, driver orientation, contacts list.
- Perform any other duty requested by the Chief of Party or Project Director as necessary for the security of the mission.
- Seven to ten years of relevant security background and demonstrated experience managing logistics and security in an EOM or similar context, preferably in Zimbabwe or the southern Africa region.
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge of the Carter Center’s observation methodology, including international and regional standards for democratic elections.
- Leadership skills and cross-cultural understanding are required for all positions.
- Strong knowledge of the political context and electoral environment in Zimbabwe.
- Strong English writing and communication skills, and competence with computer applications are required.
A daily rate for this position is determined by an internal committee at the Center taking into account each individual’s years and scope of experience and historical rates for similar positions in past missions with the Center.
To be considered for this position, provide your application details, and upload a CV/resume and cover letter in support of your application on the following website: https://airtable.com/shrE5mZDodsXZOSqA.
Only applications received through this link will be considered.
Due to the large volume of applicants, only those candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified by the Center, no phone calls please. Deadline for submissions: May 19, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position filled as soon as possible.
Note: Because this is an international election observation mission, Zimbabwe nationals are not eligible to serve as a Security Expert. Due to the large volume of applicants, only candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified.