The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering: it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
The Carter Center is seeking a temporary mission assistant to support the Center’s observation mission in Guyana. The mission assistant will support all logistics and administrative aspects of the implementation of the election observation activities in the context of the general elections in Guyana, scheduled for March 2. The mission assistant will report to Atlanta-based project manager Brett Lacy. The position will involve some travel to Guyana through February/March 2020. The position may also involve working remotely to support tasks in the Atlanta office.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Pending funding, the position is scheduled for approximately two months.
Duties to be completed:
The program assistant supports administration and implementation of the Center’s election observation mission to Guyana, including maintenance of spreadsheets of arrivals, departures, visas, and additional information; collect necessary paperwork from the STOs; maintain mission contact lists; help to prepare briefing materials for mission participants; and assist with distribution of materials ahead of the short-term mission.
While overseas, the program assistant will support: STO airport pickups and drop-offs; STO briefings and communications; news briefings, daily briefing materials, news clips and leadership support; ELMO implementation; and distribution and collection of deployment supplies. S/he will process financial documents, including expense reports, and assist with the development of financial reconciliation paperwork for the field office.
Ideal candidates possess some or all of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree, or a high school diploma or equivalent and five years of administrative experience;
- Familiarity with election monitoring and/or democratic governance programming;
- Experience in supporting and backstopping field offices and international programs, and coordinating travel and logistics;
- Experience and faculty with Office365 applications, including excel, word, SharePoint, and others;
- Ability to communicate clearly by email, Skype, and more;
- Exhibit cross-cultural understanding;
- Ability to work in difficult conditions, perform well under stress, work within a team, and maintain professionalism at all times.
Length of Assignment:
This position is slated for 2 months.
To be considered for this position, send a CV/resume and cover letter in support of your application to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications received through this email will be considered. As this is an international election observation mission, Guyanese nationals are not eligible for this role. Due to the large volume of applicants, only those candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified by the Center, no phone calls please. For questions, e-mail email@example.com. Application deadline: Friday January 31, 2020.