The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering: it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
The Carter Center is seeking a highly-qualified gender analyst to work on the Center’s observation mission in Tunisia. The gender analyst will assess and analyze key issues affecting women and gender disparities in the context of the 2019 presidential and legislative elections to respectively take place on Sept. 15 and Oct. 6, 2019. The gender analyst will contribute to public and private statements commenting on the electoral process to provide an impartial assessment of the elections as well as detailed recommendations for ways to improve their inclusiveness, credibility, and transparency. The position will report through the Tunisia-based mission director to the Atlanta-based project manager. The position requires relocation to Tunisia by mid-August through January 2020.
The short-term consultancy position requires travel to Tunis by Sunday, August 11, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Pending funding, the position is scheduled for approximately five months.
- Analyze aspects of Tunisia’s national legislation concerning women as it pertains to the country’s general elections. Assess whether provisions regarding their participation are implemented in accordance with the legal framework as well as international standards for democratic elections.
- Oversee survey research, including focus groups and in-depth interviews, to evaluate the participation of and barriers to the participation of women as voters, aspirants, and candidates in the electoral process against international standards and national legislation, including party primaries, candidate nominations, the campaign period, election day, and post-election dispute challenges.
- Develop standardized tools, checklists, discussion guidelines and other data gathering instruments to assess women’s participation in elections, and barriers to their effective engagement.
- Brief long-term and short-term observers on the key issues affecting women and gender disparities in the upcoming elections. Review observer reports and analyses, as well as their contributions to checklists and qualitative data collection for research.
- Liaise with political party representatives, NGO, and civil society leaders (particularly women and minority groups), and representatives of citizen domestic observer groups to gather information and share views on relevant issues related to women participation in Tunisia’s elections.
- Assess and analyze the role of women participation during the pre-election period, election day, and the post-election period in target areas and across several regional governments within Tunisia.
- Prepare written reports and contribute to the drafting of public statements, including the preliminary statement and final report, as requested by the Atlanta staff.
Ideal candidates will possess some or all of the following qualifications:
- A minimum of five to seven years of demonstrated experience in women’s studies, gender development, and/or related research fields;
- Demonstrated experience in assessing barriers to women’s civic participation and engagement, and legal frameworks with regards to gender, preferably in developing or transition countries;
- A bachelor’s, master’s, and/or doctoral degree in women’s studies, gender development, or a similar field;
- Demonstrated experience/expertise in conducting field-based or survey research, specifically in overseeing focus groups, surveys and/or in-depth interviews regarding gender dynamics and relationships;
- Knowledge of Tunisian politics and culture, regional expertise, preferred;
- Cross-cultural understanding;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Ability to live in difficult conditions, perform well under stress, work within a team, and maintain professionalism at all times;
- Knowledge of French or Arabic preferred.
Please send a CV/Resume, together with a cover letter explaining how your profile and experience match the job requirements via application, which can be found at the website here: https://airtable.com/shrIheU6SEtvebC2c